Government and the Military – March 2019
(Reviewed by Marie Ficarra, Des Higgs, Ps. Barbara Miller and Bjorn Schmid)
“He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross” (Col 1:15-20)
The relationship between Christianity and politics is a historically complex subject as well as in modern politics between the Christian right and Christian left. All governments suffer from corruption, dishonesty, evil infiltration to rule, and false power. The only government that will never have any corruption is the Kingdom of God, which is in essence God’s redemptive reign.
God’s inspired revelation tells us that He will send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before, whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began (Acts 3:20–21). In the Bible God reveals to us that He will restore His government, His law and His way of life to this entire earth.
“For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord” (1 Thessalonians 4:16–17). All human governments will eventually end and Jesus will reign over everyone forever. In Isaiah 9:6-7 we read:
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,
on the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish it and to uphold it
with justice and with righteousness
from this time forth and forevermore.
The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this.
The Kingdom of God and Jesus the Ruler of all Governments
- Jesus proclaims the Kingdom of God. As Jesus’ ministry begins in Mark, he announces “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel” Mark 1:15.
- Jesus is the King of God’s true Kingdom. Where the king is, there is the kingdom. Jesus is both the faithful ruler and the righteous citizen of the kingdom. “The kingdom of God is in the midst of you” Luke 17:21
- Jesus reveals His purpose for the right Kingdom. Jesus described his mission saying that He “must preach the good news of the kingdom of God” Luke 4:43
- Jesus declares the Kingdom of God on Earth as it is in Heaven. Jesus explains the kingdom and invites people to enter into it. The declaration of the kingdom “On Earth as it is in Heaven” Matt 6:10
- Jesus demonstrates the Kingdom. Through his works, Jesus shows the power of the kingdom and his authority over the prince of darkness. Luke 11:20
- Jesus overcame the enemy of the Kingdom. “When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.” John 19:30 Jesus destroyed the devil, the false ruler of the world, by destroying the power of the kingdom of darkness. He purchased everything by shedding His blood of the cross.
- Jesus deploys the Kingdom. Jesus sends his followers out as ambassadors of the kingdom with the Great Commission “All authority in heaven and on earth” Matt 28:18 He is the true Messiah the ruler of all Governments.
- Jesus returns as a triumphant warrior King. Jesus is the “King of kings and Lord of lords” Rev 19:16. He will place all his enemies under his feet.
During the month of March 2019 we are praying for the sphere of the Government and the Military. Join with us in prayer in the unity of the Holy Spirit.
What does the Bible say about Government?
Meditate on the following bible verses and seek God’s guidance to pray for governments around the world. The Bible says the heart of a king is in the hand of the Lord. He can turn it however He wants, so your prayers are important. Pray it in faith, believing, and remember God watches over His Word to perform it (Jeremiah 1:12). The apostle Paul urges us in 1 Timothy 2:1-3 to pray, intercede and give thanks for kings and all people in authority. This is God’s command to every believer today.
If you wish to read further about what the Bible says about Government, there is a good article at this link https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-government.html
“I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.” 1 Timothy 2:1-4
“For the kingdom is the LORD’S and He rules over the nations.” Psalm 22:28
“Both riches and honor come from You, and You rule over all, and in Your hand is power and might; and it lies in Your hand to make great and to strengthen everyone.” 1 Chronicles 29:12
“He said, “O LORD, the God of our fathers, are You not God in the heavens? And are You not ruler over all the kingdoms of the nations? Power and might are in Your hand so that no one can stand against You.”” 2 Chronicles 20:6
“For the LORD Most High is to be feared, A great King over all the earth.” Psalm 47:2
“Now at this time while the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint arose on the part of the Hellenistic Jews against the native Hebrews, because their widows were being overlooked in the daily serving of food.” Acts 6:1-6
“Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties and of tens.” Exodus 18:21
“And the dragon stood on the sand of the seashore. Then I saw a beast coming up out of the sea, having ten horns and seven heads, and on his horns were ten diadems, and on his heads were blasphemous names.” Revelation 13:1-2
“He rules by His might forever; His eyes keep watch on the nations; Let not the rebellious exalt themselves.” Psalm 66:7
“Let the nations be glad and sing for joy; For You will judge the peoples with uprightness And guide the nations on the earth.” Psalm 67:4
“The LORD has established His throne in the heavens, And His sovereignty rules over all.” Psalm 103:19
“You will be driven away from mankind, and your dwelling place will be with the beasts of the field You will be given grass to eat like cattle, and seven periods of time will pass over “You until you recognize that the Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind and bestows it on whomever He wishes.”” Daniel 4:32
“Which He will bring about at the proper time–He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords” 1 Timothy 6:15
“For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6
“The LORD will stretch forth your strong scepter from Zion, saying, “Rule in the midst of Your enemies.”” Psalm 110:2
“Yes, it is He who will build the temple of the LORD, and he will be clothed with majesty and will sit and rule on his throne Thus, He will be a priest on His throne, and the counsel of peace will be between the two offices.” Zechariah 6:13
Who must we pray for?
Please refer to your own nation’s and region’s governmental structure and find out what are your Government portfolios and pray systematically for each. Examples are cited below for the Australian and USA governments.
- People listed in the Australian Defence Organisational Structure Chart http://www.defence.gov.au/Publications/Docs/DefenceOrgChart.pdf
- Australian Defence Senior Leaders http://www.defence.gov.au/Leaders/
- People listed in US Department of Defence Organization Charts http://www.netage.com/economics/gov/USDefense-chart-top.html
- Australian Government Portfolios, Departments, Portfolios (link to PDF document)
- U.S. Government Branches, Departments, Portfolios (link to PDF document)
- In your nation, state and city/region:
- Heads of State: Presidents, Prime Ministers, Leaders of the Opposition, National and State Governors.
- Federal and State Parliaments: Ministers, Shadow Ministers, Senators, Representatives and other Members of Parliament, Parliamentary Officers and Public Servants who support the work of the Parliament and the government, members of the Parliamentary Media services and the Press Gallery, catering and other support services.
- The Diplomatic Service: Diplomats, Ambassadors, Customs Officers, and support staff.
- Mayors of Cities, Council Members/Aldermen, Council administration and support services.
- Political parties and advocacy groups and services.
- Protection services: heads of the military; military generals and officers, rank and file, federal and state police heads and officers.
- Federal and Constitutional Courts and Commissions and all legal professionals involved, e.g. Judges, Advocates, Barristers and Lawyers, Legal Advisers.
- Municipal and government officials: mayors, town clerks, executive officials.
- Against ‘progressive’ unholy agendas from taking root in Government departments and portfolios.
- Against the removal of things related to God or Christianity from parliaments and government bodies.
- For righteous and respected political and administrative leaders to be installed that bring Godly influence in all aspects of our governments.
- For Government finances not to be wasted on destroying our society, but to be invested in worthwhile causes that build up our society towards God’s righteousness and justice.
- For the defence and continuity (or establishment) of religious freedom and the right to free speech in your nation.
- For your country to align it’s foreign policies with God’s heart for Israel and the nations.
We pray, in the Name of the Lord Jesus, for all Kings, Queens, Presidents, Prime Ministers, Vice Presidents, Deputy Prime Ministers, Ministers, Senators, all nation Cabinets, Chiefs of justice and Associate justices of Supreme Courts around the world, we pray for all parliaments around the world and their Members. We pray for the Defence Force and Military, Generals, soldiers, Chiefs, Air force, Navy, Military intelligence and surveillance, Security Officers, Customs, Border protection officers, people in special missions, police officers, detectives, Chief Police Officers, Police forces.
We pray for them to receive the wisdom of God, to act in obedience to that wisdom of the Holy One our Father in Heaven and in Jesus Christ His only Son, with the power of the Holy Spirit that proceeds from the Father and the Son to flow in their lives.
We pray for everyone working in the sphere of Government and Military to be unified in righteousness for the sake of their nations. We pray for protection to cover all law enforcement officers and the men and women of the military. We ask the Lord to give them His enlightenment to do His will on earth as it is in Heaven. Lord you have said as recorded in Matthew 18:18 that “Whatsoever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven and whatsoever you shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Therefore we bind the enemy from all earthy governments and its people, and from their families. Satan and all his demonic forces have no power or authority over them and though the gates of hell may come against them, they are behind those gates and cannot influence or whisper to any of them. We invite the Holy Spirit and loose the angelic host to encamp around all earthly governments including all their families and loved ones. Thank you for your Holy Ghost protection, guidance and for angelic intervention in concert with the will of the Spirit.
We pray for the salvation for all people employed in the sphere of Government and the Military so that they will be reconciled to God. We pray that they will come into contact with the gospel and that they will experience the love of God. We pray Lord to see more Christians in the political arena so they can be a true witness to You in their spheres of influence.
Thank You Lord for covering all people mentioned above, with the blood of Jesus. Acts 2:38-39 says, “…Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.”
Thank You Lord for the gifts of the Holy Spirit and the intercession of our High Priest Jesus Christ as our advocate (Romans 8:27) in your holy court. Thank you for the gift of faith. Your Word promises us (per Mark 11:23,24) “Whoever says to this mountain, Be lifted up and thrown into the sea! And does not doubt at all in their heart but believes that what they say will take place, it will be done for them.” For this reason you told us, “whatever we ask for in prayer, believe that it is granted to us and we will get it.”
We declare and decree holiness and purity in all earthly governments and ask Lord to let your will be done in each one on earth as it is in Heaven. Amen
For Peace Among the Nations
Almighty God our heavenly Father,
guide the nations of the world into the way of justice and truth,
and establish among them that peace which is the fruit of righteousness,
that they may become the kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
For Sound Government
O Lord our Governor, bless the leaders of our land,
that we may be a people at peace among ourselves
and a blessing to other nations of the earth.
Lord, keep this nation under your care.
To the President and members of the Cabinet,
to Governors of States, Mayors of Cities,
and to all in administrative authority,
grant wisdom and grace in the exercise of their duties.
Give grace to your servants, O Lord.
Cycling With God
At first, I saw God as my observer, my judge, keeping track of the things
I did wrong, deciding whether I merited Heaven or Hell when I die.
But later, it seemed as though life was rather like a bike ride;
It was like a tandem bike, and God was in the back, helping me pedal.
I don’t know when it was that He suggested we change places,
But life has not been the same since.
When I was in control, I knew the way. It was rather boring and predictable;
I took the shortest route to travel between two points.
But when God took the front seat, He knew delightful paths; up mountains, and through green gullies, through rocky places, and all at break-neck speeds! All I could do was to hang on. Even though It looked like madness, He said “Pedal!”
I was worried and asked, “Where are you taking me?” He laughed and didn’t answer me, and I started to learn to trust.
I forgot my boring life and entered into an adventure. When I said, “I’m scared!” He’d lean back and touch my hand.
He took me to people who had gifts that I needed, gifts of healing, acceptance and joy. They gave me their gifts to take on my journey – our journey. And we were off again.
He said, “Give the gifts away. They are extra baggage, too much weight.” So I did – to the people we met, and I found that in giving I received, and still our burden was light.
I didn’t trust him at first in control of my life. I thought He would wreck it. But He knows bike secrets. He knows how to balance, take sharp corners, how to avoid rocks. And I’m learning to shut up and pedal to the strangest places.
I’m learning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face.
And when I’m sure I can’t do any more, He smiles and says, “Pedal!”
Fr. Guy Carlson – a retired Jesuit priest