Praying for the Church
Prepared by Lilian Schmid
Let’s join together as one body, pick up the Shield of Faith and the Sword of the Spirit as we take our place on the front lines and stand in the gap to pray for the Church and all the leaders:
- That God will build His House and have His way
- That God will keep, guard, and protect the Church
- That You Oh Lord God give to us the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of You: The eyes of our understanding being enlightened; that we may know what is the hope of Your calling, and what the riches of the glory of Your inheritance in the saints, And what is the exceeding greatness of Your power graced to us who believe, according to the working of Your mighty power, which You wrought in Christ.
- That you would grant us, according to the riches of Your glory, to be strengthened with might by Your Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in our hearts by faith; that we, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passes knowledge, that we might be filled with all the fullness of God…
- And we also pray and desire that we might be filled with the knowledge of Your will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; That we might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; Strengthened with all might, according to Your glorious power, unto all patience and long-suffering with joyfulness; Giving thanks unto You Father, Who has made us partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light.
- Pray for the Pastor/Minister/Priest – Lord, we lift up our church pastor to You. Thank You for his servant’s heart. Keep them from losing heart when ministry gets tough. Help them prove faithful with the things you have entrusted to them. Teach them Your ways so that they know You and find favour with You as they lead us. Keep them open and honest before You and help them to represent the truth plainly. (2 Cor 4:1)
- Pray for the Elders – Lord, we lift up the elders (church board) to You. Help us respect and honour them as they direct the affairs of our church. May they wholeheartedly give their attention to prayer and ministry of the Word. Keep them above reproach, devoted to their families, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable and able to teach. (Titus 1:7)
- Pray for the Deacons – Lord, we lift up our deacons and servers to You. May they walk worthy of respect with sincere hearts. Help them keep hold of truth. Fill them with Your Spirit and let them operate in wisdom as they carry out their responsibilities. (1 Tim 3:8-9)
- Pray for the congregation – Lord, we lift up the people in our congregation to You. We want to walk with You, Jesus, let us serve you with humble hearts and listen to your words. (Eph 4:1; 2)
- Pray for the Children/Youth in the church – Lord, we lift up the children and youth in my congregation to You. Let their conduct always be pure and right with reputations that show that they remember You, Creator God. Open their hearts to receive you. protect them from the evil one and plant righteousness, faith, love and peace in their hearts to know you more. (Mat 18:3-4)
- Pray for Seniors in the church – Lord, we lift up the senior members of our congregation. We are blessed by their example and ability to train us. Help us to be humbly submissive as we benefit from their wisdom and understanding. May they put their hope in You and be renewed in the process. (Pro 16:31)
- Pray for the Lost among us – Lord, we lift up the lost members of our congregation. Let the Holy Spirit give them deep conviction. Teach us to make the most of every opportunity to share Your salvation with them. We stand against the enemy and his attempts to keep them blinded to Your truth. (1 The 1:5)
- Pray for Worship Leaders – Lord, we lift up our worship leaders. Help them lead us faithfully in thanks for Your enduring love. Use their praise to defeat the enemy. May they be the true worshipers You are looking for who worship in spirit and in truth (2 Chr 20:21-22)
- Pray for Speakers/Evangelists – Lord, we lift up the speakers and evangelists in our church. May everyone who holds that position—pastors, Sunday school teachers, small group leaders, guest speakers speak your word and wisdom. Let them speak with a spirit of faith that springs from their relationship with You. (2 Tim. 2:15).
- Pray for Women’s Ministry – Lord, we lift up our Women’s Ministry. Teach our women to be virtuous women with gentle and open hearts. Let this ministry produce women who feel Your passion for them and who choose to spend time at Your feet. Teach them to share their experience to bring good influence as mothers, wives, sisters and daughters (Titus 2:4)
- Pray for Men’s Ministry – Lord, we lift up our Men’s Ministry to You. Encourage them to hold each other accountable as they carry each other’s burdens. May they speak the truth in love to each other even when it’s hard. (Jude 1:20)
- Pray for Youth Workers – Lord, we lift up our Youth Workers. Let these young men and women set an example in their speech, life, love, faith and purity. Help them to grow in your word and deliver the right judgment on others. Pour out Your Spirit on them. (1 Tim. 4:12)
- Pray for other members of the congregation who are serving the Lord in humility– Lord, we lift up the people who work behind the scenes at our church. Thank You for each one of them. who have devoted themselves to the service of the saints. Bless them for the obedience and generosity they have displayed. Protect them and protect their families from the evil one. (1 Cor. 16:15).
- Pray for Children’s Ministries – Lord, we lift up our children’s ministries to You. Create an atmosphere here that encourages our children to find You. Let the teachers be careful to remind each child of the marvellous things You have done. Keep them walking in the truth. (Mark 10:14).
- Pray for Finances – Lord, we lift up our church finances. May we sow generously into our church without reluctance . Pour out your grace upon all our needs and make us rich in ways that result in generosity on our part so You will be praised. We need your provision Lord (2 Cor 9:6-11).
- Pray for Outreach/Missions Projects – Lord, I lift up our outreach programs. Help us teach one another to be faithful ministers of Your Son. Enable us to meet people wherever they have a need. Give us the humility to do our mission without complaints (Heb. 13:16).
- Finally we ask you Lord to energize your church with your continuous outpouring of the Holy Spirit so that we can see more spirit filled man and woman who have the fire to evangelize and bring many to your kingdom.
We pray You, almighty and eternal God, Who through Jesus Christ has revealed Your glory to all nations; to preserve the works of Your mercy. That Your Church, being spread through the whole world, may continue with unchanging faith in the confession of your name.